Highlight weighted metering advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,828
Highlight weighted metering advice

The z6 is my first body with highlight weighted metering. I shoot a lot of staged performances and overall, I like this metering. But the exposure/brightness results are not as consistent as I expect. Following are two screenshots from Fast Raw Viewer.

Opening scene in a butoh dance performance. Settings were manual shutter and aperture, with auto iso. For this shot, I had 0 exposure compensation. There is a hot spot on the leafy screen behind the dancer. FRV indicates some slight overexposure in the hottest area, and if I select Auto Exposure Correction, it reduces exposure by 1/4 stop.

Next shot was taken moments later. Lighting has changed. Also, in response to what I saw with the previous shot, I have dialed in -2/3 EC. (I guessed, correctly, that the first shot was bordering on overexposure.) But this second shot is now far underexposed. FRV Auto Exposure Correction adds 1.43 stops. So a better in camera EC would have been something around +2/3 EC.

My question is, why do these two scenes seem to require roughly a 1 stop difference in EC settings to get similar overall exposure and brightness? Is it normal to have to applying varying amounts of EC when working with highlight weighted metering? (This behavior continued throughout the performance.)

I hope I've been clear. Thanks for any enlightenment.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon Z6
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow