Why I Stuck with Sony APSC Over Full Frame

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Regular Member • Posts: 493
Why I Stuck with Sony APSC Over Full Frame

With nearly every manufacturer releasing a full frame mirrorless product, all the recent buzz has been around 35mm cameras and big hunks of glass. Around bonus time this year I was tempted to explore Sony FF. An A7II with kit lens was running a cool grand, and every picture site is dropping proof of how gorgeous the A7III + Tamron 28-75mm is.

Yet after visiting B&H and handling Sony's latest and greatest I decided to stick with APSC, despite the paucity of native glass and advantages of the latest full frame bodies. Why? Let's answer that in two pictures.

Here is my camera bag. It's a small over-the-shoulder dwarf backpack. Notice how unassuming it is compared to a pair of sunglasses. If needed on a hike or trip, I can wear a traditional backpack while slinging this over my chest.

Glasses for scale, cat for flavor.

Here's what fits inside that tiny traveler: everything.

The optical menagerie.

We have:

• A6400
  • 18-135mm OSS + hood
  • 35mm OSS + hood
  • 50mm OSS + hood
  • Battery bank
  • Two spare batteries
  • Spare SD card
  • Lens pen
  • Microfiber cloth
  • Camera and lens caps
  • USB C and USB 2.0 cables
  • (Not pictured) 500GB SSD x 2
  • (Not pictured) travel odds and ends like tickets, coins, maps, etc.

I can fit a trip's worth of camera gear in a bag that would struggle to hold an A7III and 24-240mm (the closest FF offering to the 18-135mm OSS), as shown here . They say that the best camera is the one that you bring with you, and I can easily carry my A6400 with the versatile 18-135mm with me all day through crowds, up mountains, and wherever my feet take me. I can even slip in a prime or two (or someday soon the 10-18mm OSS) without breaking a sweat or bumping into people with a backpack or traditional camera bag.

Here's a view of how easily the A6400 fits in there with room to spare:

Snug buddies. Yes, I know I need lens covers!

Despite being diminutive, the APSC/18-135mm combo can take great shots!

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow