D800 - Island Hopping Oopsie - Advise?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ezedek New Member • Posts: 10
D800 - Island Hopping Oopsie - Advise?

Hi,

I used my D800 in the desert and while island hopping. Months later the LCD began to show damage. I appear to have overestimated its weather sealing. To add insult to injury, my wife accidentally broke the small contact piece on the camera. The camera now doesn't recognize any AF lenses.

I took the camera to a local repair shop. They told me they can fix it for $150, if I bought the parts. I estimate the parts would cost me $200 off ebay from China (knock on wood). But, they're worried that due to potential water corrosion on the LCD that any attempts at repair could potentially kill the camera all together.

The camera still shoots fine in manual and there is no evidence of problems with its menu functions or the sensor. I shot this only a few days ago with Tamron 500 SP Adaptall.

His recommendation was to use it as is until it dies all together. Buying another new D800 or paying more for a D810 seems like a waste of money, because it still shoots with manual lenses. Plus, I also own a D750 backup. 
My question is this:
Is his concern valid considering the camera is still able to capture image and video with no problems? Would you recommend I take the risk and get it all refurbished or should I accept it as it is for now until the day that I can afford a D850.

ezedek's gear list:ezedek's gear list
Nikon D750
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D750 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow