Large E mount bodies

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,297
Large E mount bodies

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62581084

Sony want both...

Fair point. They definitely want A mount owners to stay loyal to Sony, even if new lens sales are stale.

you have to remember that many punters want the larger sized camera and won't switch to E-mount.

That I disagree with. There's nothing that precludes Sony from making a large E mount camera (cf. A3000), except that they publicly stated they won't do it for now or some time.

When E-mount is saturated and the line up complete, work will still be passed down to A-mount in new R&D. It doesn't make financial sense to give up A-mount!

Picking up where we left off.
Martin, I think that's an excellent litmus test.
Sony stated that they're not interested in making a large E mount body, but A mount bodies are large by default (A99ii being more compact than any other FF DSLR and many APS-c models notwithstanding, and it strikes a perfect balance of size and weight for me).
I'm calling it now. Sony will cease development of new A mount bodies only when they make an E mount camera that offers two things:
1. Large size, about the size of A99ii.
2. Good compatibility with screw drive A mount lenses without a clunky adapter (I consider LAEA2 and LAEA4 to be clunky, LAEA3 to have acceptable size and LAEA1 to be perfect).

Whether they make it with hybrid E mount that I envisioned*, or by facilitating screw drive in a more flush fitting form factor (making good use of body and adapter shape for a good grip, maybe with extra buttons on the adapter).

As I pointed out before, there's nothing that precludes Sony's competitors from accommodating A mount adapters in their systems, and Sony stands to lose many loyal customers if they let that happen.

*) One that includes screw drive in the camera body and E mount that has the screw drive mechanism†.

†) As an added bonus, this might allow some support for autofocus with screw drive lenses from Nikon and Pentax, assuming a third party makes a suitable adapter, which might further increase sales‡.

†) Or, Sony could just say sod it and kill off A mount, opening up the market for other companies to drop in (imagine Pentax making a mirrorless mount with screw drive with third party support for A mount lenses, this could happen).

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 35mm F1.4 G Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +5 more
Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow