First Bird Photo...Equipment, Technique, Processing or ALL Issues?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Turbo0411 Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: First Bird Photo...Equipment, Technique, Processing or ALL Issues?

lehill wrote:

Turbo0411 wrote:

Hello-

I bought my first long lens to start taking pictures of birds. I am using a Nikon D3100 with a Sigma 150-500 lens. Although I was pleasantly surprised that the photos came out ok, they are pretty bland...they don't seem to have a crispness to them. I have done no post processing (haven't learned yet).

What I'm wondering is this the limitation of my equipment? Could I have done something different from a technique/setting perspective or do I just need to learn post processing?

Your equipment is fine for starters (someday, you might want to pick up a 24mp camera instead of the 14mp D3100).

From here on out, it's not the equipment, it's all you:

Sony A77 (24 mp) + Sigma 150-500mm. California Brown Pelican in breeding colors.

The basic rules are:

• Good light on the subject - keep the sun behind you
  • Get more pixels on the subject - get closer & improve stalking skills

At least where I am, the lazy pelicans hang out near the boat ramp. They learned returning sports fishermen will feed them their leftover bait. Easy pickins' for close up shots. Also on the fishing pier, pelicans will try to steal bait from the anglers.

There are lots of nature photography websites/blogs with lots more detailed info.

Wow, how far away was that?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow