Taking Pictures of a New-Born

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zoba132 Regular Member • Posts: 241
Taking Pictures of a New-Born

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to Photography, and to be honest - I got rid of my old compact camera because I wanted to have better quality pictures of my upcoming son. For the last couple of months I played with the Camera, mainly taking picture of my pregnant wife. Mostly working in Aperture mode and enjoy playing around with lighting. Now that the baby has come to the world (1 week old!) I'm interesting to hear couple of points I should keep in mind when taking pictures of him.

So right now his not moving much, but sometimes he will smile. Because those are rare and pass pretty quickly, I keep my camera in slow burst mode and take couple of pictures each time, just to get that perfect picture where he look at the camera directly.

Also, I keep taking pictures of him against the cradle. So I set the lowest Aperture possible (which is 3.5 in my Kit lens), just to get that blurry effect on the back.

What I'm not sure about is where to set the Focus. When using 'Auto', the camera will figure out it's a portrait, and the picture will get pretty bright, and focus will be 'around the face'. When I try to take picture in Aperture mode, The focus points change (everything I release the shutter button after half-clicking it ). It can be his nose, his eye brows, his ears. It's hard for me to tell which one is 'correct', and more importantly, how to set the focus on the right spot. So my camera (Fuji X-T20) has multiple focus points I can choose, but I'm not sure which focus system is the correct one (single point, zone wide/tracking).

So I'm trying to figure out how to be more close in manual mode to that 'Portrait mode' in Auto, and perhaps learn couple of other things I should take care of. For example, is there any value in settings focus to Continues? or It should be on Single so focus won't change while I half-clicking on the shutter?

Any tips are welcome really, as most will be educational anyhow

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow