I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 21,602
Re: I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Monica727 wrote:

Thanks. I had not been aware there were two different Sigma 1.4X teleconverters. I’m holding off on buying one. I’m going to give myself the Spring and Summer to work with what I’ve got.

It gets even sillier with Kenko TCs.  People refer to "the Kenko 1.4x", but there are many Kenko varieties, and I use one now that I bought about 16 years ago because the newer one I have is too crafty and crashes the camera I use most, because the TC doesn't play by the rules and makes assumptions that are broken with my newest DSLR.

The Kenko that has proven itself over time for me  is the Kenko Pro 300 DG (I think there is a "teleplus" somewhere in the name, too).  The one that crashes my camera with its tricks is a DGX model I bought about 5 or 6 years ago.

A TC that works by the rules only communicates with a lens that has pins to talk to it (not all do, at least in Canon land; my Tamron 150-600 G1 doesn't have those pins), and the lens uses the facts that the TC presents to scale the values that it presents to the body.

The Tricky DGX Kenkos go beyond that, and intercept and change the lens/body communicate to force AF at f/8 on cameras that only support it at f/5.6.

This is all based on Canon EF experience, so I don't know if the same applies with other lens mounts.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow