I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 21,623
Re: I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

The notes on the TC-1401say "When SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1401 is attached to cameras that are compatible with AF at F8, it is possible to shoot with AF. In cases where contrast or brightness level of the shooting object is low, it may not focus properly." Note the sentence I've underlined.

The camera body is so important to this discussion, and the mode of operation (OVF vs EVF or LCD).  This is an issue which will eventually disappear with improved body AF ability at high open f-ratios.  When someone replies to this thread in 5 years, only older cameras might be having an autofocus issue at f/9, looking through the viewfinder.  The mirror-less Canon EOS R, for example, can AF a zoom like that with even a 2x TC, if there is reasonable subject contrast, even if its dark.  It's not as good as the better Canon DSLRs at tracking moving objects, though, in a burst with automatic focus point selection.  OVF AF still has some advantages in early 2019.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow