Simga 14mm f/1.8 Art + FTZ + Nikon Z 7: blurred corners

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Schlick33
Schlick33 New Member • Posts: 8
Simga 14mm f/1.8 Art + FTZ + Nikon Z 7: blurred corners

Hello All,

I have been testing my recently purchased Nikon Z 7 with most my F-mount lenses to establish weather the upgrade from D810 to Z 7 was worth in regards of picture quality (sharpness).

Generally, I have mixed feelings about the picture quality of F-mount lenses on the FTZ-Adapter... Compared to my D810, picture quality, especially to the left and right edges of the frame, seems inferior. That is comparing raw shots taken with same shooting settings, imported into Lightroom with no edits, and zoomed in to 1:1 view.

Especially with my loved Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art I am disappointed:

• The left and right quarter of frame is less sharp, and even blurry towards the very edge and the corners of the frame!
  • Stopping down helps a little but the D810 wins at each aperture.
  • Interestingly enough, the center of the frame seems fine - or depending on aperture is even slightly better with the Z 7.

I am surprised that the sharpness is not either better or worse across the frame. After all, the FTZ-Adapter only compensates for the distance from the lens to the sensor (plus some electronics of course) but no optical elements...

Has anyone observed similar issues with the Sigma 14mm f/1.8 on Z 7?

Thank you an Happy Easter!

Schlick33

Schlick33's gear list:Schlick33's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Sigma 14mm F1.8 Art
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow