Help: Sigma 56 Corrections, RAW, and Lightroom

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The Ryantist Contributing Member • Posts: 964
Help: Sigma 56 Corrections, RAW, and Lightroom

I noticed today that in lightroom, the default lens correction upon import for the Sigma 56/1.4 says "Built-in." This doesn't happen with any of my other lenses - they get the correct profile on import. Anyone else experience this? I'm shooting on a6300 (haven't noticed if it also happens from a6000).

Furthermore, this "built-in" profile seems to have already corrected vignetting but not distortion. Here's a poor snapshot test but I think it captures what I'm talking about.

First, here's with the "built-in" profile right after import (shot RAW, converted to B/W, no other PP). This is a bed frame with a light in the center of the room, so the amount of darkening in the corners looks correct to me as the real light falloff in the room. The top rail should be straight, so there's clear pincushion distortion.

Next, I selected the Sigma 56 profile under lens correction. It puts distortion and vignetting at 100 to start. The distortion is fixed, but now the corners look unnaturally bright to me.

Finally, I after applying the above Sigma 56 profile, I left the distortion at 100 but turned the vignetting control back down to zero. This seems to be the correct way to apply the profile.

Like I said, I have not noticed this with my other lenses. Has anyone experienced this, or is there some camera setting I should change? I suppose a simple fix is to create a preset that does the above, and then I can always apply that preset to my Sigma 56 photos, but I hope there's some automatic way to do it.

The Ryantist's gear list:The Ryantist's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow