I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 21,549
Re: I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

jvc1 wrote:

This comment reminds me to mention that adding a TC will almost certainly have some negative impact on IQ. I've seen several discussions as to whether your better off with a TC or crop. For my lens & TC, the TC is slightly sharper than an image cropped to the same size. It might be different for you if you try a TC.

Unless the TC is of poor quality, the real issue is AF, IMO, if you are after subject quality. If you can get focus, then the TC presents no significant practical losses. Yes, you will have a higher ISO, but your subject will be covered by more pixels, making the noise on the subject finer. One would never notice this, though, if they always looked at 100% pixel views, and judged quality by pixel-level sharpness or noise.

Both of my TCs, a Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4 and a Canon 2xIII, are very good optically, and AF confidence is the only reason I would refrain from using them (or would use the 1.4 instead of the 2x), if they don't make the angle of view too narrow. I have the original Tamron 150-600 as one of my lenses, but my current DSLRs don't focus it reliably with any TC, except in LCD mode, which is awkward with telephoto, hand-held, and very slow unless the subject is almost in focus already. With future cameras, I full expect that a 1.4x will work much better with these lenses.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow