Works perfectly with a Panasonic G9, tons of flexibility

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoeSamson New Member • Posts: 5
Works perfectly with a Panasonic G9, tons of flexibility

I traded my Panasonic 14-140mm LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. for the new Olympus 12-200mm because it's a bit wider at both ends, is weather sealed and can focus extremely closely but since I have a Panasonic G9, I will no longer have DFD and Dual IS 2 The Olympus doesn't have image stabilization but the G9's IBIS so good I haven't noticed any difference at all and the focusing is just as fast.

The Olympus can't match the Panasonic's aperture within the same range of 14-140mm. At 14mm it's already at f/3.9 and it hits f/5.6 at only 50mm. It stays at f/6.3 from 100mm to 200mm so in that respect, it's worse than the Panasonic 14-140mm. For macro, at the 12mm focal length, the minimum focusing distance is 22cm which is right at the front glass element and at 200mm, I measured it at 61cm, or 2 feet. In low light I haven't noticed much of a difference, since I totally rely on the G9's great IBIS and can still do good hand-held shots as low as 1 second.  My min. shutter speed is set to 1/15 sec which is almost a sure thing.

The G9 and Olympus 12-200mm is such a nice combo.  I took this pic with the Sony a6500 and Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

As far as how it feels, it's larger and heavier, but being made of metal, it feels more premium than the mostly plastic Panasonic. You rotate the zoom ring counter-clockwise to zoom in which is reversed from what I'm used to with all my previous zoom lenses. The focus ring turns with a little bit of a molasses feel, but is not as silent and smooth as my Sigma 30mm. The zoom ring is smooth, but more slidey than liquid-ey (if that makes sense) and it has an uneven and lumpy resistance that changes depending on what angle you're holding the lens at. Also the resistance drops off at the last 10% right before you hit 200mm which contributes to the inconsistent feel; not a big deal.

The bokeh's not too bad either lol

I knew as a zoom lens, it wouldn't be as good as a prime in low light or have easily achieved shallow depth of field, but that's why I still have my a6500 and Sigma 30mm lens. However, you can get nice bokeh out of this one if you have the room and a tripod (see my gallery for some lame, but cool samples lol). I think the optical quality and sharpness is as good as the 14-140mm which was very sharp at all focal lengths (find David Thorpe's excellent review on YouTube).

Overall, I'm happy to finally pair the weather-sealed G9 with a nice weather-sealed lens that can get close, wide, far and everything in between. Some may think it's pricey, but it was well worth it to me for all it can do.  I am as happy with this lens on the G9 as I am with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for the a6500.  Now if only Sigma would weather seal that lens.

A few samples (I haven't really gone anywhere with it yet as I've only had it a couple days!):

Look how close you can get with this lens at 12mm!  at 200mm, you can get as close as 2 feet.

ZOOM RANGE TEST:

Quick shot @12mm - The G9's shading and diffraction compensation settings were turned off for some reason :/ Also, I did some tweaking of the raw file.  I'm not sure if the lens is soft or if I should have used manual focus (I'm still learning)

And @200mm - The G9's shading and diffraction compensation settings were turned off for some reason :/ Also, I did some tweaking of the raw file.

I love the way the lens looks and all that this combo can do, but it makes this a much larger setup than the A6500/Sigma 30mm that took this pic.

Olympus lenses look so cool

JoeSamson's gear list:JoeSamson's gear list
Sony a6500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Kamlan 50mm F1.1 Olympus 12-200mm F3.5-6.3
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-200mm F3.5-6.3
Lens • Micro Four Thirds
Announced: Feb 13, 2019
JoeSamson's score
Average community score
Olympus 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow