Perfect Storm - Easter on Lake Mead

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vegasdood
vegasdood Regular Member • Posts: 361
Perfect Storm - Easter on Lake Mead

Build it and they will come they say....lol   As I am new to the "lake life", I am sure NONE OF THESE local WATERMAN have seen some crazy dude on a jetski with a humongous camera housing riding 50+ miles on any given day snapping photos.....I think from a distance they think I have holding a cops speed-gun or something.  hahahaha...

Anyway, today several things happened that made for a productive day of shooting.

1) Great light with white puffy clouds.  Out here in the desert, normally it is just boring blue sky days.....

2) Minimal crowds (after memorial day it will be 1000% different)

3) Glassy water (good for reflections...

4) The most important.....I met a retired ski racer and he and his wife were totally up for some shots and he totally understood setting up the shot...plus he has all the gear on to make it tight!

I have been shooting for $ for almost 20 years and it is so fun to get re-invigorated with a new medium.  This is gonna be a great summer.  For now, it seems the 50mm 1.8 is the right tool for the job.

This guy aka Donnie rides like this 20 yards from the shoreline and he knows all the nooks, rocks and crannies...

This area is called the Pittman wash know for the red rocks.  This is just adjacent to the Hoover dam.

Him and his wife ride some acrobatic tandem stuff but this is a new ski for her so we were just dinkin around.  Who says you have to have a horizontal line?  I like angles...hahahah

So stoked to see these African-American ladies out on the  water....unfortunately, not that many African-Americans choose this lifestyle.  I had to take a risk and applaud them for their literal minority of the boating life...I guess her husband is a famous XXXXXL MMA fighter based here in Vegas.

This area is called the "Narrows" so I had to wait around for a boat to sort of get framed up in the shot.

So much fun coming up on peeps like this having fun and grabbing a shot with these spectacular backdrops.

My ski will do three people and tow a raft as well. I was laughing so hard watching the dad get totally thrashed on the raft behind.  hahahahah

This is an older ski but I love the colors...and, the 50mm 1.8 allows me to get some moderate bokeh setup in aperature mode and auto ISO.

-- hide signature --

vegasdood's gear list:vegasdood's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow