Shadow recovery for jpeg shooters

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 6,952
Shadow recovery for jpeg shooters

Hi all, first I want to acknowledge that you will generally get superior results from shooting raw and processing with a good converter, assuming you have the smarts to do that. I do not or am too lazy to learn. So, for those like me, I will show you two images; the first a jpeg straight out of the camera and a second a jpeg worked over a little in old Photoshop Elements 8, three steps to be exact. It was a beautiful day today, summer like for a change and I took my dogs out to the back yard late this afternoon. The photo in question is of my doxie/bull terrier mix, Poppy. This photo was strongly backlit which in and of itself is not a bad shot, but you can't really see what her markings are. I applied some Shadows/Highlights, a little hue adjustment and some unsharp mask. Now you can see she is brindle and white.

Again, the raw shooter is at an advantage with this kind of shot, so please, no arguments  Highlight recovery is a whole other ball game too so I almost always shoot with some negative exposure comp to keep from blowing highlights too badly.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow