The 18-55mm not sharp enough ?? , have a look..

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,951
Re: The 18-55mm not sharp enough ?? , have a look..

j

Not surprising results as my copy is decently sharp at the long end as well. The problem with the 18-55 is at 18mm where the edges are soft, (which is verified by the Lenstip.com review.) Most standard kit zooms are optimized for sharpness at the wide end, but unfortunately the 18-55 is just the opposite with soft edges at 18mm even when stopped down.

it`s been explained - 1:- the lens has high Curvature which can mean soft edges especially if the lens is decentered as the Curvature makes the decentring look far worse than on a more flat field lens like the 16-50 b and 2:- it`s a horrible lens for sample Variance , must be a hard lens to assemble consistently ..

Lenstip like the rest of us can only go by the copy they have in front of them and with the 18-55 you can`t write a definitive review based on one sample , 50 of the things maybe . The copy I have now can produce consistently sharp edges at F5.6 but you have to shoot deep into a scene to manage that at F2.8 .... Curvature is far worse at 55mm

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow