Oops. Should I keep my Canon 6D?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 209
Oops. Should I keep my Canon 6D?

After purchasing the 6DMkII I decided to sell off my 6D system, which included the battery grip, batteries, a 16meg starter card, David Bush's book (along with the original instruction book from Canon), and a nice travel bag that could hold the camera body and a normal lens. I would use the 40D as my emergency backup camera.

But a few weeks ago I picked up my Lowepro bag and forgot that I hadn't zipped it up. The 6DII and 24-70 L lens came tumbling out, falling about four feet to my carpeted bedroom floor. The lens seemed okay, but the camera body didn't seem right. To be brief, I called Canon tech support twice and it appeared that we only had to reset some perameters and the 6DII was fine. That joy lasted until my first spring shoot, when the camera suddenly froze up, displayed pure gibberish on the LCD display, and the shutter wouldn't work. When I brought it home and tested it, the camera worked again briefly, but there were no focus points for a while, and then focus points that would light up the entire screen in red. Within a few minutes the camera froze up again. And with that I called Canon and had it sent to Virginia for repair. I'm not overly concerned about it, as it's fully insured, and State Farm has told me that if the repair is too costly they'd just go ahead and write me out a check for a new 6DII.

But that left me without any kind of a decent emergency FF camera for several weeks. Except... I hadn't sold the 6D yet. And so I recharged the batteries and stepped right into using it, without skipping a beat. While the 6DII is of course a better camera, the 6D is no slouch, and getting used to its controls again was easier than breathing. And so that left me in a dilemna. What do I do when my 6DII comes back home?

For those who would be kind enough to offer their opinions, I'm going to lay out several options on selling my camera gear, and your input can help me determine the best way to proceed...

1) Keep the 6D as a backup. I might not get that much for it anyway, and if I'm many hundreds, or thousands, of miles away from home I'll have a really good FF backup camera, rather than an older crop unit. That would allow me to sell my 40D, 20D infrared camera, and 7D with its 11-22mm crop wide-angle lens.

2) Do as I originally intended, and when the 6DMkIII comes out, use the 6DII as a backup.

3) Keep the 6D as a permanent backup, and when the 6DIII is released, sell off the 6DII.

4) Finally, do what I always do--nothing. And let the camera bodies, lenses and equipment pile up, so that when I die every citizen, dog, cat and cow in India can have their very own camera.

I prefer number 4, as I can be spectacularly lazy, but it's not economically sensible. A proper sale of my equipment could largely fund a nice photo workshop in the farthest reaches of the U.S. And so, if you wish, please give me your opinion on my best move. There may be something  that I haven't thought of.

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow