Experiences/opinions on Nikon refurbished lenses?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bkjones88
bkjones88 Regular Member • Posts: 307
Experiences/opinions on Nikon refurbished lenses?

What's the general consensus on Nikon refurb lenses? I recently bought and am unfortunately having to return a refurb 16-80 that was slightly decentered. It was a good $300 cheaper than a brand new lens, and I normally have no problem with refurbs (I saved a ton of money on my D7500 that way and it showed up in mint condition).

But that go me thinking about refurb lenses specifically, and I wonder if you're more prone to getting a "bad" copy when going the refurb route vs. brand new. Obviously my sample size of one does't say much, and brand new lenses can also be defective. But I wonder (pure speculation) if Nikon is more likely to "OK" lenses with minor optical defects as refurbs - the decentering issue with my 16-80 was not extreme, and a casual photographer might not even notice/care.

Although I will probably try another refurb 16-80 when they come back in stock, I'd welcome thoughts and experiences y'all have had with other refurbished Nikon lenses.

-- hide signature --
 bkjones88's gear list:bkjones88's gear list
Nikon D7500 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G Nikon D3400 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow