Lens for Museum

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP BaseballShots Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: Lens for Museum

Thanks for the insight!! I am starting to strongly feel my initial 24-105 f4 purchase for a walk around was smart and sufficient. I’ve gotten many excellent outdoor good daylight photos with and trust indoor dim will work out good enough for me.

Outside the vacation I don’t think I’d use the <50mm focal length enough to be worth it.  Saving up for the 135mm F1.8 for indoor sports down the road would get much more use.   Or any future longer & faster lens of some kind.

Thank you all again for the sounding board advice.   I honestly spend a very high percentage of my shooting time with the exact opposite focal length and lighting from indoor museums.

cgomez wrote:

I would stick with what you have, unless you were already looking to get a 24mm or 35mm lens. While in Europe last fall visiting many museums, I found that the 24-105G which had been a very reliable all-arounder was more than sufficient for museums. The 24-70 f/2.8 GM is too heavy for the marginally better low light performance it offers and while I now have the 24mm f/1.4, in many cases it would be too wide for my taste.

Example: https://photos.carlosgomez.me/Cities/Paris/i-c8NNFtp/A
Quite a few museum and tight indoor shots from the 24-105 here.

If you were already looking for a new lens and can justify using it afterwards, go for it. Otherwise, learn to love the 24-105 and remember that with bodies like the A7RIII, you can comfortably shoot up to ISO 4000 with minimal noise.

BaseballShots's gear list:BaseballShots's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow