Transmission differences between Zuiko 40-150 4/5.6 R II and Lumix 100-300

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Seattle Myck Forum Member • Posts: 76
Transmission differences between Zuiko 40-150 4/5.6 R II and Lumix 100-300

I am hoping someone can confirm my reasoning on transmission differences between two lenses and if my results are not unusual.

I recently received the Lumix 100-300 mm lens and have started evaluating it on my E-M1. One of the things that I have begun with is comparing this lens with my "cheap" Zuiko 40-150 4/5.6 R II over the identical zoom range (100-150 mm). I set the iso to 500 and fixed the aperture (tried 5.6 and 7.1). I am only using the IBIS. For a number of scenes, I noticed that the camera always chose a slower shutter speed for the Lumix 100-300 over the range of 100-150 mm. It is a very minor change, e.g. 1/30 vs 1/40 but a difference nevertheless. If I calculate out the EV for the given settings, it comes out that the Lumix has an EV which is ~.23 higher.

Does that mean it has a poorer transmittance at a set aperture than the Zuiko at the same aperture or is something else going on?

If so, based on the cost of the Lumix, I would have thought that it would have better actual transmittance. Or is this considered a minor difference and expected because the Lumix is a much longer lens  (zoom range) and probably has more elements?

What do the experts here think?

Thanks, Myck

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow