F mount Backup lens for month long photo trip? Please suggest

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
net1994 Contributing Member • Posts: 663
F mount Backup lens for month long photo trip? Please suggest

Hi All - Going on a photo trip to Thailand for one week and then off to Vietnam for 3 weeks right after this fall. I'll be bringing my Nikon D800 and backup D800 or D810. Will also have my Nikon 14-24, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC and Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 G2. When I went on another photo trip to the same place 3 years ago, after a week on the trip I was checking out my D800 with the Tamron 24-70 on it and it fell out of my hands and the lens broke and was unusable for the rest of the trip (was later repaired). I had a rented backup lens that was able to mostly be fine. As I'll be away for a whole month, I want to rent another backup lens that covers a good range. I'll be doing mostly landscapes and close ups, so don't need a very long mm coverage. Seems like the choices now are the Nikon 24-120 F4 VR or the Sigma art 24-120. This covers the mm range I would use most if I didn't have my best option if something happens to one of my lenses. Any other options? From the reviews of both the Sigma and Nikon, the sharpness won't be near or close to my other lenses I'll be bringing. And I'd assume weather sealing/ruggedness won't be perfect for such a humid and rural places. But I need something as a backup in case I'm stuck. So I'd say the 'better' of the two. Or perhaps there are other lenses I don't know about for F mount FX that might work? Again, the wider end (24mm) is more important than the long end (beyond 100mm). Also bringing my Nikon 50mm 1.8 prime

And also, please keep in mind I have no problem bringing so much gear with me. I did it last time and had no issues. Besides I'm traveling by myself, so lots more flexibility. I'm not going to go out and spend $5k+ on a Z7 kit and lenses. Please lets not have the thread diverge into buying more stuff

-- hide signature --

My Photography website = Happy time for your eyes:
http://www.paintbypixels.com

Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow