A7ii vs a6500 vs A7iii vs other?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Learning_Slowly Junior Member • Posts: 31
A7ii vs a6500 vs A7iii vs other?

Hey everyone. I'm sure this question has come up many times, so I apologize in advance. I searched back through recent threads, though, and didn't see anything terribly similar. I'm hoping that those of you already in the Sony ecosystem might be able to offer advice as to if one of the above bodies would work well for me, or if another manufacturer might be better as well.

I am reasonably inexperienced. In college about 10 years ago I had a Panasonic fz18, which allowed me to play around with ISO, shutter speed, and manual focus, and I was hooked. I had a raynox adapter to do macro. I exceeded what that camera could do for me, and slowly stopped shooting as I didn't have the budget to upgrade.

I now recently have the ability to put cash into the hobby, so I'm looking for something that will give me room to grow and learn. One thing I like about the idea of FF is that it would maybe give me room to grow a bit vs apsc, but I like the crop factor for macros and wildlife.

What I'd like to do with the camera (ranked in order of importance):

1. Macro of bugs and plants (I'm trying to keep my budget within reason, but regardless of which camera I go with, I'm strongly considering the sony 90mm as I've heard it is great)

2. Wildlife photography. Mainly birds at home feeder, animals on hikes, etc.

3. Landscape of mountains/ocean (I live about 3 hours from both so I assume I'd like to try this out when we visit)

4. Photos/video at home of pets, significant others etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the body and what good all purpose lenses (other than the fancy macro!) that would let me experiment a bit with the above? I am ok with investing in good lenses down the road, but I would like to try and keep my initial investment in body + lens(es) to around 3500 if possible.

The A7ii is very cheap right now and that is attractive for a FF entry point, but I'm not sure how long I would be happy with it. It is still a large step up from my current camera I'm sure though. The a7iii seems great, but is expensive, as are FF lenses. Is the a6500 a good middle point? My only thought is that if I ever decide to upgrade to FF, I will have to see the whole kit, other than the macro I plan to buy.

Anyways, I would greatly appreciate your input, as everyone here is likely more experienced than me by far and I need some assistance in making up my mind. Thank you!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Sony a6500 Sony a7 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow