Wide-angle f2.8 zooms — so many options; which one’s best?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
e61 New Member • Posts: 11
Wide-angle f2.8 zooms — so many options; which one’s best?

I’m looking at my options for an autofocus, EF-mount f2.8 wide zoom for an RP. As far as I can tell, the best options (and please correct me if I’m missing any) seem to be:

— Tokina Opera 16-28mm f2.8 ($700)

— Sigma Art 14-24mm f2.8 ($1,100)

— Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 G2 ($1,300)

— Canon 16-35mm f2.8L III ($1,900)

— Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II ($1,600 or $950ish used)

I’ve read the positive reviews for all of these lenses. However, I haven’t seen much in terms of comparisons, especially after Tokina’s latest was released.

I understand Canon’s 16-35 III is likely the best lens here. But what about the others? How do they stack up?

Here are my questions, particularly to those who have used at least two of these lenses:

— Which is the best value for its price?

— Setting money and use case (landscape, astro and real estate, for me) aside, which are the best lenses? Are there particular strengths or weaknesses of any of these?

One personal note: These zoom ranges are all fine with me. More flexibility is great, but I don’t have a compelling need to get below 16mm or above 24mm with this lens; it would mostly be used in between that range.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow