Combining telephoto and macro lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
justphotography New Member • Posts: 3
Combining telephoto and macro lenses

Hello,

I've been experimenting with my telephoto (EF 70-200mm F4 L) lens to see if I could extend its range by combining it with my macro (EF-S 60mm F2.8 ) lens and three extension tubes (68mm total).

The macro lens with 68mm of extension tubes should roughly give a 2:1 reproduction ratio. I thought if I could capture the image from the telephoto lens with my macro lens I would be able to double its focal length (like a 2x teleconverter).

I have a rail on which I mount the telephoto lens, a 10cm long empty black tube to bridge the gap between the lenses, the macro lens, the extension tubes, an EF-M adapter, and finally my EOS M3.

I installed the kit on a tripod and took several shots at different apertures for both lenses (fixed the 70-200mm lens aperture using aperture preview and dismounting the lens) with a 10 second delay. There is a lot less light reaching the sensor with this setup so the exposure times are quite a bit longer.

Ultimately, it works but the combination does not resolve further details. What's the limiting factor? Is it diffraction? I attached 2 examples that show the best results I've had.

A - 200mm at F5.6, cropped

A - 200mm at F5.6 combined with 60mm at F5.6, no crop

B - 200mm at F5.6, cropped

B - 200mm at F5.6 combined with 60mm at F5.6, no crop (vignetting due to poor alignment of lenses)

Thanks for your feedback.

Canon EOS M3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow