What tradeoffs am I missing in choosing the RX0 ii vs one of the RX100s?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scarletink New Member • Posts: 10
What tradeoffs am I missing in choosing the RX0 ii vs one of the RX100s?

We have an A7riii for high quality photos.

I'm looking for a camera for two primary uses:

1) Trail running. I carried our A7riii through 12 miles of trail running last weekend with the 24-105 in my running vest.. and I'd rather not do that again So I want something lightweight. I'll accept the decreased quality.

2) Alternative camera when the A7riii is particularly inconvenient (raining while hiking, going into a worse area of town, etc). We travel a lot, and I don't always feel it's appropriate to carry around the full sized camera. We mostly do it, I just sometimes wish we had something smaller

With #1 above our primary use case, I had been comparing the various RX100's, considering them as a good lightweight option to carry. Most of our photography is as wide as possible (24mm on the 24-105 for example), since we're pretty consistently taking photos of landscapes & buildings. Zooming is convenient, but we don't use it a ton.

Then I did a search on weight (trying to minimize it for running), and filtered by 1" filter or greater. The RX0 ii stood out like a sore thumb. It's almost 1/3 the weight of an RX100, and if I'm reading the specs right, it's the same photo quality?

What I know I'm missing:

1. It's smaller & awkward to hold perhaps. Mostly a good thing (the smallness), but I understand the ergonomics won't be great.

2. No zoom. Clearly that's something we'd need to be ok with.

What else am I missing? Thoughts on my thoughts?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony DSC-RX0 II Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow