10 Rules for Nurturing Creativity

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
clackclack Contributing Member • Posts: 583
Re: 10 Rules for Nurturing Creativity

Paulmorgan wrote:

clackclack wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

MatMayer wrote:

Both good lists. Not sure about #8 on the first one. I like the no mistakes rules, that failing is just learning.

Just learned 2 photo lessons myself from this video, so thought I would share: 1. Have 3+ things in a photo. 2. When people are hanging around wait for a gesture

Going to go over some photos tomorrow and find ones with 3 things. Should help when deciding whether to cull too. Never considered counting how many things are in a scene before (people, connections, objects, stories etc...)

I sometimes wait for transactions between people but should also start waiting for gestures. John Free has a nice way about him, would like to do one of his workshops to help rise above mostly boring and mediocre photos.

I find myself doing a lot of this but more at a sub subconscious level or from the heart and gut, much like this, I think we all do a bit of it (2.50)

Gesture`s, yes I use them a lot, love them, sometimes include myself as well to be fully there Matt, its not all just candid.

..but is it 'Street' ..if you take a photograph of something you wanted. I would have thought the blokes on this forum take photos of something that comes as a surprise to them

We all want or are looking for something Ant and its always a surprise when it does come, that`s the magic of SP, its not like planning or portrait shoot or heading off into some other controlled environment where we set the pace.

you can sort of do that too though ..you can have an idea of what you want. I guess is like shopping for clothes and you want a purple latex suit, with orange garfields and they only had the one in blue.

You have said for a long time, you are not into categories, all photography is just photography. Except this forum is Documentary & Street ..and everyone already knows Documentary does not mean cats.

Well just not into tight silly rules of street that often get banded about.

So 'Street' means something else ..

I saw a 'Street' forum disappear once ..was the worst thing I ever saw. They turned on the owner/street-photographer of the site ..he was very-very creative too, and the members acted like baboons (because street was nothing and easy to do I guess) ...and then '(Poof)' ..suddenly just like that it was all gone, and the ones that didn't do 'Street' turned it into something else.

imagine seeing that mate ..I was shocked (lol).

cleaned up my mamiya Paul, I said 4.5 kilograms the other day in a post but I attached a macro lens and a 2x extension last night and that was a serious addition ..whats ya think mate ..just over 6 kg in the street. I'm boggling at the thought but like an idiot I want to find out. I honestly hope I get something nice, might be a year before I even get to press the shutter button. It goes KEER_LUNK (not not sexy mate).
Man this thing is heavy ..I might have made a mistake. (lol)

ant

Got all sorts here, even a few very old quarter plates, light enough to carry and use but I`d have to lug a hand cart for all the plates, chems etc.

a bloke I was talking to yesterday, said he had a box camera as a much younger man. He said he could buy the plates already coated and then load them in and shoot one at a time.

I had no idea ..do you know what he was describing. I did not know they would store and load that way ..am sure he said they were in the camera.

Some like to go on about gear, I`m more into pictures.

I'm both ..is like everything I do ..Chinese and pens, putting holes in things and guns, photos and cameras ..drinking and booze mate. (am on holidays, everyone here is)

ant

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow