45-55 mm Apo for Sony FF

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
geza_22 New Member • Posts: 9
45-55 mm Apo for Sony FF

Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster.

I have a Sony A7R3, along with a 21 mm Loxia, 55 mm f/1.8 FE, 90 mm Sony macro and 180 mm f/3.4 Leica Telyt. I mostly shoot landscapes/macro, occasionally portraits. Overall, I am pretty happy with my gear. But if there is a weak link, it is the 55 mm f/1.8. While AF and in-focus details are great, I am less impressed by it's LoCA 'character'. I am not too fond of its focus by wire either.

Is there a 45-55 mm APO lens that works well on the Sony FF cameras? I am willing to trade off AF and aperture (f/2.8 would be plenty). But I am not willing to do the Kolari mod, nor do I want to trade off too much in edge sharpness. I used to have the CV 65 mm APO macro, and while I loved its APO performance, its focal length just did not mesh well with the rest of my lenses, so I let it go. Is there a 45-55 mm lens with similar APO characteristics as the CV APO - no observable LoCA at 100% even at f/4? If no such lens exists, which lens comes closest to this requirement? Sample images would be much appreciated.

I realize that LoCA is relatively easy to edit out in post (especially at f/5 and slower), but I am still curious.

Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow