Theater Performance Lighting

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Nionyn Senior Member • Posts: 2,028
Do you need to calibrate your monitor?

Myer wrote:

Brooke Meyer wrote:

Myer wrote:

I tried explaining the difference between dramatic lighting in motion and freezing it in a photo.

Ah! Like this?

This is great live and might also be as a video but for me, not as a frozen photo.

Note all the light is concentrated on the top of the heads with a little on the female's front. The legs are almost too dark to make out.

In my opinion I'd like to see the above with a 30-40% bounce added. Enough to make the legs visible and to provide some separation from the background. Just my opinion and what I would like.

This is getting ridiculous.
I 'm starting to find it difficult to tell if you are being serious or if you're taking the proverbial.

If you honestly see this photo as you describe it you desperately need to hardware-calibrate your monitor. If you don't you could be seeing pretty much anything here.

The legs and all other parts of the dancers are perfectly visible and well lit, with lovely definition of their limbs from the warm sidelight from Stage Left (our right) and slightly cooler sidelight from Stage Right (our left).
The dancers are perfectly well separated from the background by the blue top/backlight on them.
Are you honestly not seeing any of this?

Bounced fill flash would be not only totally unnecessary but would kill this photo.
It is lovely exactly as it is - and, what's more, it's a record of what actually was seen on stage.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow