Manual vs Auto Focusing Lenses - my experience

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan Hudson
Dan Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 1,074
Manual vs Auto Focusing Lenses - my experience

Sometimes,

Cost is irrelevant, but not always. Irrelevant pretty much sums up my experience in trying to use a manual focusing lens. Not the first shortcoming, but the second is the lack of important file information being recorded. Lack of recording is not even fine for the moment if for instance you are trying get the greatest DOF and decide to shoot again with a different aperture, but don't remember what you just did. Just add to that negative feature, the lack of recorded info in your albums. It does not post with your images there or on dpreview, because it is not there to be used. Well, I sent my beautiful little 35mm manual lens back to the seller for a refund. The refund was small as was the original cost, under $95. Of course I had to pay shipping back. That low cost feature was lost in the works when trying to conquer the worst shortcoming, that of getting focusing done in an accurate maner and on time. Too much fiddling with the adjustment and methods while never being sure I had it focused just right. Not much purpose in having a sharp lens if you don't focus spot on. Of the two methods covered by the M50 camera, I choose magnified focusing over focus peaking which seems to show everything in or out of focus with no regard to my choice of what to focus on. After some considerations, I gave up my cost advantage with manual focusing, even though when focused correctly on target, it was good. I took the leap and bought the more popular Canon EF-M 22mm prime. Received it after lunch today and already like it. Glad I did not let my money take advantage of me. I am happy now and thanks for listening.

Dan

-- hide signature --

Christian Amateur Photographer
Choose life's involvements carefully with an eye toward eternity.

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Canon PowerShot SX120 IS Canon EOS M50
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow