Balancing concert photo light.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PDGood
PDGood New Member • Posts: 14
Balancing concert photo light.

Thanks to this forum I've improved my understanding of how to set the white balance. Now I'm going into a situation where I will shoot a band under colored lights and in this case, I don't what to achieve a correct skin tone because there won't be one.
Previously, I've been practicing at home where I could try all the different WB settings and I found the best one for the lights that I have - small track lights with colored gels on them. But now I'm going into a place with proper stage lighting and I have no idea what that color temperature will be. There won't be time for trial and error.
Everything I read online says to use a gray card to set the balance but I'm thinking this is what you would do if you were trying to remove a color cast and achieve proper skin tones. But if I'm viewing someone on stage and all the lights are blue, I want the people to be blue, I just want them to be the right shade of blue.
So would this be a matter of setting the color temperature rather than the white point? And if so, how do I know what the right temperature would be?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow