Extension tube on 100-400?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pauldb126 Regular Member • Posts: 166
Extension tube on 100-400?

Hi, I was just wondering whether anyone had tried putting extension tubes behind the 100-400mm lens. Ok an odd choice, but driven by what I have available.

I appreciate magnification using tubes is directly related to extension divided by focal length so the magnification would not be great. Indeed Fuji quote only 0.26 for the mcex-16.

However, what appeals to me is the narrow angle of view, for subject isolation, and - in particular - the great working distance of 1.4m great for skittish butterflies and the like.

Then I wondered about putting the teleconverter behind the extension. 1.4 × 0.26 = 0.36 magnification (not in front of the extension tube where you'd increase focal length and, thus, reduce magnification).

So, magnification of 0.36 at a working distance of 1.4m with image stabilization sounds very appealing to me.

Pity Fuji's extension tubes are so expensive. I have some by Viltrox but they just send my camera's electronics haywire.

Anyhow, I'd welcome thoughts and experiences,

-Paul

pauldb126's gear list:pauldb126's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow