BIFs: Great Egrets, Cattle Egrets, and Some Friends (4/19/19)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,145
BIFs: Great Egrets, Cattle Egrets, and Some Friends (4/19/19)

Fast and furious!  No, not the car film franchise, but my wildlife and bird posts...that's how I have to keep them coming if I ever hope to catch myself up.  So here's the next in the series - this time, we're back to all birds-in-flight for this post.

Picking up where the last post left off, with the great egrets displaying for courtship, that's also the time when they tend to be most active, flying around to build nests, find mates, and feed.  So I've got some great egrets in flight, along with some of the other nesting birds in the wetlands back on February 23rd - cattle egrets, whistling ducks, great blue herons, snowy egrets, anhingas, and wood storks.

All shots taken with the A6300 and FE100-400mm GM combo as usual, and all are posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

A great egret banking in to land, showing his green mating colors in his face, and trailing his aigrette feathers on his back

As he air-brakes to land, the feathers in his wake get all disturbed in the turbulence

A close, partially backlit great egret flying by elegantly

I'm always torn whether they look better with wings up on the beat, or down at the end of the flap - so I keep them both!

A black-bellied whistling duck headed this way and catching all the sun

Hitting a patch of nice, clear blue sky and showing off his pretty wing patterns

This cattle egret came in low over the water, then lifted up to land.  They have one of the more dramatic color shifts for mating - from dull white birds to rainbow hued bills, red legs and red eyes

The difference one millisecond can make, based on the light falling on the background water - here, the bird in the very same second was flying past a more sunlit patch of water, picking up more blue

I did a backlit great egret, so why not a backlit cattle egret too?  here's one flying low between me and the sun

Another cattle egret dropping past the tree line in the distance, with backlighting, as he comes in to land

A juvenile great blue heron, flying directly my way, and staying right down low on the water's surface

Another backlit bird - this time, a snowy egret showing how his yellow feet and face turn reddish orange for mating season

A wood stork delivering a small branch back to the nest, just to keep things insulated

And not just once - the job requires constant back-and-forth, always getting little bits here and there to plug holes and replace rotten bits

An anhinga, flying down low in the shadows over the water

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow