Focusing help please

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jaykayg
Jaykayg Regular Member • Posts: 371
Focusing help please

Been out on our motorbikes today, wonderful day and ride. But - I also made my other half sit about several times while I took photos.

And all my photos are out of focus.

Firstly, I cannot get autofocus to pick up flying birds, it might just catch the focus and then loses it completely again, or doesn't get them at all, so I keep missing all those wonderful opportunities - it's so sad - and this was the reason I bought the mkiv rather than the iii.

Even if I manually focus on something relatively still, when I zoom in on my pics they're soft. I don't if this is a resolution issue, if I'm expecting too much, but then I see such wonderful photos with this camera from other people.

Settings I am using. With continuous focus, flexible spot small for the C2 button (with a shutter speed of 1/250, for perching birds etc, and expand flexible spot for the C1 button (with 1/2000 for bif). And then using the ael button for focus rather than the shutter, also flexible spot small.

Here are some examples - the first two are a couple of the better ones (!) and the last one is a typical example of most of them - completely unusable :-(. What am I doing wrong please, how can I improve them?

Jaykayg's gear list:Jaykayg's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow