Sony 6300 fails again

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Swimweb1 New Member • Posts: 3
Sony 6300 fails again

I have had three Sony cameras and all have failed.  I initially had a Sony Alpha 55 which failed after 12 months.  Sony's service was subpar and after quite a while I finally got it back and it is still used by my daughter.

I then bought a Sony 6300 with the Sony 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 lens and later purchased the Sony 18-105 f/4 lens.

A little over 12 months later that camera failed.  It was returned to Sony who indicated they would address it under warranty, but then did not have the required part and finally agreed to send me a new camera.  That was about 16 months ago.

In February I was in Disney World and the camera started to freeze up, i.e. none of the buttons were workable.  It was also intermittant.  Our local dealer updated the firmware to the current version but indicated it needed to go back for repair.  Sony wants at least $300 to even look at it.  This is the third Sony camera for which each has failed within 16 months of getting the camera.  That is not reasonable if Sony considers that they sell quality products.

I created a case with Sony service and then asked what their action would be given I was an early converter to Sony products and I have now had three failures.  They have not even had the decency to respond.

Since installing the latest version of firmware the camera somewhat works.

• Everytime I take a photo there are multiple clicks instead of one click.  With this nuisance, I still get workable photos.
  • When I attach the Sony 18-200 lens there is a hum, and the camera will not focus properly.  This makes this lens which I paid over $800 for unusable.
  • When I attach the Sony 18-105 lens, the camera seems to work.

I also own a Fujifilm XT-20 digital camera that has now become my go to camera.  I can no longer trust the Sony camera.

I have had the dealer confirm that I do not have any of the settings set incorrectly.

Before retiring I was in the service business and understand it well.  Sony's service is all outsourced with the repair center and the call center to different companies.  In short it is not good.  In fact I will now argue from experience that customer service is a reason to not buy Sony products, plus statistically three failures all with three different Sony cameras indicates an issue that Sony needs to address.

I suggest you look at the competition, specifically Fujifilm before buying a Sony digital camera.

Sony a6300
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 3, 2016
Swimweb1's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
unrated
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow