Theater Performance Lighting

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Myer Senior Member • Posts: 2,886
Re: Should we re-start this thread

BAK wrote:

I've completely lost track, and I know how to use flash.

Lurkers must be really confused.

But if we re-started and the photos illustrating a post were taken under the conditions described in the post, maybe thread-readers could follow along.

I have looked unsuccessfully for a dancer on stage lit by a flash bouncing off a ceiling, with the camera and flash set with shutter faster/shorter than sync speed, and with the flash actually contributing to the exposure. Does this picture exist?

SHOULD MYER START THE THREAD AGAIN?

BAK

The photos of dance that I posted were taken prior to last year. Last year was when they changed their lighting style to a harsh, one highlight effect making it impossible to shoot decent photos.

The next dance show will be in a little over a month and I want to be prepared should they use the same style of lighting. I expect they will.

I did photograph two of their recent performances (Chicago and Annie) using bounce flash. I tried normal sync for one and High Speed Sync for the other. Each had pros and cons. I did not use a second flash to increase the power but we may recognize some of the pros and cons. I can explain what I found and why I will try doing what I decided upon.

There were a few dance numbers in them so over the next couple of days I'll post a few of each.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow