What am I doing wrong?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ajbolton
Ajbolton Junior Member • Posts: 32
What am I doing wrong?

Hi, I'm really struggling to know what it is I'm doing wrong with my 80d + 100-400 ii combo. Every now and then I'm getting an OK picture but more often than not the pictures are looking horribly "smudgy".

For example, today photographing Wheatears, I know this bird is far too far away to be getting a good photo but I'd be expecting something better than this. This has no sharpening, it has been imported as a RAW in to Lightroom and exported as a JPEG. This is pretty representative of most of my photos of late, there seems to be no detail at all.

f/6.3, 1/1000, ISO 500

Here's another example, slightly closer.

f/5.6, 1/800, ISO 100

And a pair of ducks that I was using to test on a much closer subject. Obviously the ducks look much better as they fill a lot more of the frame but in reality I'm never going to get this close to small wild birds.

f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 2500

f/6.3, 1/1000, ISO 2500

Has anybody got any idea what the issue I have might be? Thanks in advance

Ajbolton's gear list:Ajbolton's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow