Tiny scratches went on my Hoya Fusion Antistatic Protector filter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Booted Cat Regular Member • Posts: 272
Tiny scratches went on my Hoya Fusion Antistatic Protector filter

Recently after cleaning my Hoya Fusion (marketed as "EVO" in the US) Antistatic Protector filter with medical cotton balls and distilled water, under close flashlight inspection in a dark room I found three tiny, short scratches on it. Today I confirmed that they truly are scratches by cleaning the filter again with medical cotton balls, a lens cleaner (fluid) and then distilled water.

The scratches are hardly noticeable. You have to be in a dark room, put a flashlight very close to the filter and shine on the filter surface from a lateral angle (the flashlight almost in parallel to the filter surface).

I also have a Hoya Pro1D DMC Protector filter which has almost never been used and is supposed to be scratch-free.

So, which of the following will work better?

A) A Hoya Fusion/EVO Antistatic Protector filter that has 3 very tiny, short scratches and an industry-leading 99.8% light transmission rate (a higher light transmission rate means a lesser ghost image caused by light bouncing back and forth between the sensor and the filter);

B) A Hoya Pro1D DMC Protector filter that is scratch free but only has a 96.5% light transmission rate.

A Fusion filter costs 2.5 times a Pro1D filter.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow