GX-9, GX-85 or GX-8: decisionmakng madness...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LackingCommonSensor
LackingCommonSensor Regular Member • Posts: 371
GX-9, GX-85 or GX-8: decisionmakng madness...

In recent months, I've done a deep dive on these three Panasonic range finder body type cameras because I really want one to mate with my 15mm 1.7 lens. Each involves a compromise and/or has some well noted omissions or shortcomings (when compared/contrasted with each other) and I wish they had one model with the best traits of all. But that model isn't here yet so I've got to settle for one of them as the G9 is just too large for my preferences.

I've always really liked the small Panasonics, having owned the GM1, GX-1, GX-7 and each is inferior to the present three models I'm tossing around now. As I write this I can't help but arrive at the thought that the GX-85 is the greatest value vs performance of the three, though I'd love a weatherized model, the latest JPEG processing and black & white presets, better LCD among other things. One more thing; given my penchant in reselling to fund another equipment purchase, the market is flooded with the GX-85 at deeply discounted prices which invariably means lower resale value once used versus what value will be retained by the GX-9.

Getting back to my point, my objective to make use of the aperture ring of the 15mm lens in a nice small Panasonic body and optimize its image potential has led me to think in circles. That said, I probably will/should buy the GX-9 and sell off the 12-60 lens, thereby reducing my net investment by about $200...which definitely changes the comparison; $597 vs $497 (approximately).

-- hide signature --

Joe "Definitely overcaffeinated"

LackingCommonSensor's gear list:LackingCommonSensor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow