Why should I buy Nik filters?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 211
Why should I buy Nik filters?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I owned a set of Nik filters, for which I still have the serial numbers. I recently contacted DxO and asked if I might give them those numbers and have my filters reinstated. They gave me a polite "no." (Please don't ask me how my Nik filters got deleted from my system. If I remembered, I think the answer might prove embarrassing.)

And so, before plunking down $60 (during their current sale) to buy the same real estate twice, I have to determine as best I can whether I'd really want to own them. In other words, can they only mimic what my current software can do, or are they still in some way unique?

I remember having used them quite a bit many years ago, and I enjoyed them, but I also know that I really didn't try to get the best they had to offer. And so l will list the software development and enhancement programs that I've got, and hopefully users here may give me their opinions on whether buying Nik again would be a good option for me.

Besides the Photoshop/Lightroom lease bundle, I own Photomatix Pro 3.0, Aurora 2019, Luminar 3, On1 Photo RAW 2019, and perhaps about 10 to 15 Topaz stand-alone and Studio filters. These include what I call the Trio, Gigapixel AI, Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI. And of course with all of these programs I have a nice array of presets, looks and luts.

It seems to me that Nik's possible advantage might be in the field of black & white, although I wonder how much better it would be than On1's ability to selectively refine areas with its brush technology, as clunky as it may be.

If anyone would like to give me his or her opinion on what advantages I might have in rebuying Nik, I'd take your reasoning very much into account.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow