Sony A7II with 50mm 1.8 ... AF speed in 2019

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 4,995
Sony A7II with 50mm 1.8 ... AF speed in 2019

I used the Sony A7II back when it came out (amongst many other cameras), but generally I am a Fuji user.  My Fuji gear is fine.  I`m happy with it.  I see that you can get the A7II for like $750 used these days... and the 50mm 1.8 is cheap too.  Under a grand, and I have a FF 50mm camera again.  However, in 2016-2017, when that 50mm came out it wasn`t really up to par.

Has this changed?  It is acceptable these days?  I photograph on the street and my only criteria is that I sometimes need to bring the camera to my eye very quickly and fire a shot of immediately.  If it lags, it will not be for me.

This would be an extra camera for me... so no harm if it isn`t great in the AF department still.  I`ve used the 55mm in the past and know that lens is great.  Please let`s keep this discussion to the combo I`ve asked about.

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow