Help me choose a small bag for Z7/24-70f4S and 14-30f4S

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AZSeth Regular Member • Posts: 133
Help me choose a small bag for Z7/24-70f4S and 14-30f4S

Hi all! I'm looking to build a "day trip" bag that will be very minimalist, carrying only the Z7, the 24-70mm f4S, and the 14-30mm f4S lens, and except for a spare XQD card and one or two extra batteries, nothing else. I'm finally on my way home from my extended overseas assignment, and I'm planning a long trip with my wife to do the full-on tourist thing. This "day trip" bag should be as small and convenient as possible, while offering at least some small measure of protection for the camera and those two lenses.

I'm so far looking at the Domke F-5XB RuggedWear bag. That bag's interior dimensions are showing online at 9.5" long, 4" wide, 6" deep. I don't currently have a ruler to make good measurements, so I'm trying to figure out the dimensions I'll need via online sources. The intended use is to hold the camera sideways, lens attached, grip pointing up (just reach in, grab the grip, pull camera out), with the other lens sat vertically in the bag just beyond the end of the lens that's attached to the camera.

The 14-30f4S is listed at 3.1" in diameter. That leaves almost 6.5" of length left to fit the Z7 with 24-70f4S attached to it. Not having a ruler or tape measure where I'm at, I'm eyeballing the Z7 right now and it looks pretty darn close to that.

Does anyone have this bag, and also have a Z6/Z7 with 24-70mmS lens and some other lens of about the same diameter as the 14-30? Do they fit side by side in that bag?

Is there some other bag that I should be looking at which would be just large enough to hold these two specific lenses, one of them always attached to the Z7 body, and not much else?

ps: on this deployment I brought a much larger camera shoulder bag that carried a camera, flash, flash triggers, wireless mic set, a travel tripod, a collapsible light stand, etc. I could capture just about anything I wanted to with that bag, but it was big enough and heavy enough that only took it on a mission once. After that I took exactly what I needed only for that mission, and 95% of the time that meant just the Z7 with 24-70mmf4S attached in a ThinkTank Digital Holster 20 bag. That was nice and small, didn't get in the way, and protected the camera pretty well. I'm trying to replicate that "mission-oriented" convenience but with one additional lens, which won't fit in that ThinkTank case.

Thanks for the suggestions, or if anyone can confirm that the Domke F-5XB would work with this camera and lenses.

AZSeth's gear list:AZSeth's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow