Comparing the PFs

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
graemechapman
graemechapman Regular Member • Posts: 185
Comparing the PFs

Recently I've been  using the 300 f/4 PF Nikkor for photographing birds around Australia usually with either the 1.4x iii or the 1.7x converters. I have been very happy with the results.

In the never ending quest for more focal length, last week I was lucky enough to locate  a 500 PF in a Melbourne camera shop on the shelf. After spending nearly AU$6000 I'm now trying to justify the expense - don't we all !?

Here is a quick comparison of the two systems - D500 with 500PF and D500 with 300 f/4 PF and 1.7x converter. Both taken off a tripod

At a distance of 10 metres the subject field of view was 49 cm for the 500 PF and 48 cm for the 300 +  1.7x, close to what I would expect. At least the two focal lengths are close to the claimed figures, not always the case these days - some manufacturers fudge a bit.

The first pair of pics show the results for the 500 PF.

D500 with 500PF 1/800th sec at f/6.3 and 220 ISO (auto)

D500 with 500 PF, detail

The next two pics are with the 300 f/4 PF and a 1.7x converter

D500 with 300 f/4 PF + 1.7x converter 1/800th sec @ f/6.7 and 220 ISO (auto)

D500 with 300 f/4 PF + 1.7x converter  (detail)

In my estimation the results from the 500 PF are a bit better than with the 300 + 1.7x but for all practical purposes, other variables such as technique and quality of light can be just as important. For the best quality light you need to get up early in the morning, not my strong point these days!

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow