P1000: Seeking settings advice for capturing butterflies

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Roof Rack Junior Member • Posts: 32
P1000: Seeking settings advice for capturing butterflies

I will be most grateful for advice on P1000 settings for shooting butterflies, hand-held, in the field.

My interest in butterflies is general: they are a dynamic and beautiful landscape component. With their symmetry and colour, butterfly images always recall pleasurable memories of the landscapes wherein they were captured.

I am about to travel to the tropic north of the country at a time when there usually is an abundance of butterfly species in most landscapes. I’d very much like to have my P1000 technique determined, practised and polished before I go.

Below are two examples that I am happy with (out of about 200 attempts) of my current strategy for shooting hand-held outdoors. To get the necessary detail, I (patiently) shoot single-shot, either P, or sometimes BIRD, from a distance up to 5+ metres, hand-held, and squatting/seated. I prefer RAW, if possible, but JPG images are more than adequate for my purposes. From reading, I realise that I should try continuous shooting.

I will much appreciate any settings advice that you have tried and can suggest.

A common migratory species, the Meadow Argus. I can’t sex it nor explain the origin of its weird name. Shot at 320 mm, not SOOC.

Another common migratory species, the Painted Lady. North Americans would know another species by that local name. Shot at 500 mm, not SOOC.

Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow