DOF of cropped cameras.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vivanchenko Regular Member • Posts: 491
DOF of cropped cameras.

Recently I was shooting a live band using focus peaking. What struck me is that the entire stage was well within DOF of the 18-55 lens virtually across the entire zoom range and aperture settings which I wanted to use. This begs the question - why would anyone want to refocus for each consecutive shot or use continuous focus in a situation like this? It looks like few people realize that most of out of focus shots happen not because the subject was out of DOF, but because their cameras simply didn't keep up with refocusing on a subject which actually never left their DOF. This looks like an extremely inefficient way of focusing...

I found that continuous and single AF is good for shooting things like missiles or sport cars, but it looks like it's not a good Idea for any sort of action happening in a limited space be it a boxing ring, most stages or playgrounds. Manual focus with AF assigned to the Fn button works best for situations like this. Manual focus also activates focus peaking. This way I can easily get ALL my shots in focus without even thinking about it. I think that too many people got carried away with all that technology hype and overlook tools which are already in their disposal and which work even better for most situations.

vivanchenko's gear list:vivanchenko's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow