Share your 500/5.6 PF 100% crops

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 5,970
Share your 500/5.6 PF 100% crops

I’ve been shooting 500mm primes for the last 7-8 years. I’m not a pixel peeper but would like to see how remarkable 500 PF technology stays against conventional tele photo lens design. I’m very impressed with 500/5.6 PF lens. However, I do have some reservations (after very limited experience with it, though). I believe that many claims that this lens is on par with the cream of the cream of 500mm primes is a bit inaccurate. I re-read Brad Hill’s test results and re-inspect his 100% crop samples. I think that birding provides much finer details to be considered than big animals. What I see with my bird photos is a bit different. It looks like 500 PF shots sharpness deteriorate quite rapidly when cropped similarly to my Sigma 500/4 shots and finally get mushier. I also think that Nikon is smart enough not to release almost three times less priced and possibly cannibalizing big guns competitor with identical IQ. LensTip MTF data looks more realistic to me.

Everyone here has own shooting style. I personally shoot mostly handheld with no tripod/monopod support, using short shutter speed with no VR engaged, most of the time in AF-C and M-mode (I call it auto ISO).

Please post here 100% crops of your best shots with the 500/5.6 PF. To keep some consistency please make crop size close to 900x600 pixels. Also add downsized original shot for each crop to get a feel of shooting distance. No PP as possible, some WB and exposure corrections are OK. Any non-scientific, all controlled studio tripod-CDAF-remote-etc. shots, different ISOs, distances etc. crops are welcome. The more the merrier.

Thank you in advance and let me start.

1. Close distance

2. Medium distance

3. Far away

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Sigma 500mm F4 Sport Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow