Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG - Lance is a dummy

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,723
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG - Lance is a dummy

Been looking for a cheap FF ultra-wide for the infrequent times I shoot landscapes with my A99ii. The screw-drive Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG is is a pretty old lens so I was surprised to find Sigma USA Outlet store still selling refurbished A-mount versions for US$399.

I ordered one, it arrived this past Monday. The very first shot was something like this:

Sigma 12-24 on my A99ii. I discovered the fault - it was me.

I spent the next 2 days bitching and moaning about Sigma QA while trying to decide if I should refund or exchange.

Today, I discovered the lens works a whole lot better if I took off the Lens Cap Adapter that slips over the built-in lens hood. The front element of this lens is so bulbous it won't even accept a lens cap so Sigma supplies an ordinary lens cap and collar-like LCA to protect the front element. You have to remove both so the lens works correctly:

Gee, once you take off the LCA and use the lens the RIGHT way, everything works just fine. (Vignetting & lens distortion corrected in PS).

I figure plenty others made the same mistake because the Sigma USA Outlet store still has some left. There are better FF ultra-wides out there but not for $399.

Another thought - the box my lens came in has a "A33/A55 compatible" sticker on it. These might be lenses recalled from retail stores for firmware updates way back in 2010. AF works like gangbusters on my A99ii.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II +31 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow