How much "abuse" can a carbon fibre tripod take?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
DigitalScott Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: How much "abuse" can a carbon fibre tripod take?

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Yes, I've seen extremely expensive carbon racing bicycles split in two halves because they fell on the ground, something that never happens with a steel frame.

And for safety reasons I will never use a carbon hiking stick in the mountains, always an aluminium one although it is heavier.

That said, I use my Gitzo Traveler carbon wherever I want. The pressure of a camera with telezoom is not very extreme, the tiny legs at the end are able to hold that weight easily. It's more about reducing vibrations and carbon tripods do a great job. Maybe this carbon is especially made for that purpose.

I'm in agreement with this.  I have walked with both CF and AL hiking poles and despite the heavier weight, I settled on the AL hiking poles (and I am very weight conscious when choosing hiking equipment).  When I bought a close friend some hiking poles, I didn't even consider CF; I got her AL hiking poles.  If you slip even a little, hiking poles can be suddenly loaded with a lot of weight, and it can be at twisting/flexing angles.

For a tripod, I insist on using CF.  I wouldn't drag mine across rocks, but for camera duties, I think it is the best material in use now.

DigitalScott's gear list:DigitalScott's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow