Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
DMKAlex
OP DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 4,608
Re: WiFi connection keep dropping

richdm wrote:

DMKAlex wrote:

richdm wrote:

DMKAlex wrote:

On my HP8470p running Windows 10, the wi-fi connection would disconnect a few time over the evening. Mostly is when I haven't touch the computer for a while (it is not in sleep mode). But sometimes it drops even when I am in the middle of using the computer.

Any suggestion?

I had a similar problem with an older Dell laptop. Turned out that both the built-in Windows software and the Intel software that manages network connections were running, and conflicting with each other. I turned off the Windows software and let the Intel s/w control things, and it's been fine since. This was happening even when I wasn't far from the router and the signal strength was "excellent."

Can you give me some instruction how to turn of one of them?

Thanks.

Well I'm not familiar with that HP laptop, but it looks like it has a "Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series wireless LAN Controller."

So I'd look in the program list (i.e. the Windows app menu) for any Qualcomm software, and run it. See if that s/w has an option to turn it on and off. If it's already off, then it probably isn't conflicting with whatever Windows is doing. If it's on, try turning it off and restart the machine, and see if Windows continues to give you wireless capability.

That's the basic procedure I followed but using Intel software.

This is a screenshot of my devices:

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow