Theater Performance Lighting

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Myer Senior Member • Posts: 2,886
Re: A Sampling of What I've Done

Michael Fryd wrote:

You might want to consider getting a faster lens and/or a full frame camera.

An f/2.8 lens on your current camera would give you another stop or two of light. Yes you would get shallower Depth of Field, but it looks like that wouldn't be a problem for these images.

A full frame body with your current lens would give you about a stop or two less noise (along with shallower depth of field).

Combine an f/2.8 lens with a full frame body and you'll get 2 to 4 stops less noise, at the same shutter speed and subject lighting.

Thoughts that I would consider if this was how I make a living.

I'm retired and photography is a hobby. I shoot everything from butterflies, horse jumping, kite boarding, motocross to birds in flight.

I shoot these dress rehearsals as a favor for one specific theater group. That's two or three broadway shows and one of dance.

My equipment was purchased to cater to the type of photography I do throughout the year. I don't mind making a small investment (such as an external power pack for my flash) but not things I will not use again until the following year or never again.

In addition, I go hiking in National Parks and shoot wildlife there. So the weight of equipment and specifically lenses is an issue.

And being 75 is also starting to be an issue.

So, I'm trying to improve what I'm doing through tweaking and possibly a few ideas that may have been mentioned above.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your ideas.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow