Sony ImagingEdge color accuracy

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
m.holmes Regular Member • Posts: 386
Sony ImagingEdge color accuracy

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure this topic is not new, anyway I'm sharing my recent experience. I used an A700 and a Sony Zeiss 135mm to take some pictures of azaleas. The camera was set to AdobeRGB.

I was aware of some subtle color differences between the RAW and the in-camera jpeg, which are visible shortly the first time Lightroom opens the picture (in fact, while it's still using the embedded preview, you see different colors). So, usually I set the color profile to "vivid" and the curve to "medium contrast", which I used to consider a good approximation (anyone knows some better settings?).

But today I had time for a small experiment, to verify my own beliefs: I extracted the embedded preview from the pictures with exiftool, then I compared

1. preview.jpg - Sony ImagingEdge viewer
  2. original.ARW - Sony ImagingEdge viewer
  3. original.ARW (Adobe color profile) - Lightroom
  4. virtual copy (vivid+contrast) - Lightroom

#2 and #3 are obviously different, #2 and #4 are in fact decently similar. But -surprisingly for me- also #1 and #2 are different. Here is a collage of the two (the preview is on the right, it seems darker and less vivid).

Does anybody know how good is Sony software color accuracy?

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow