I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 15,629
Re: I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

John Michael Winterbourne wrote:

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that lenses don't usually do their sharpest work wide open, which I think you've used in your example shots. I read a review of the 150-600mm C earlier that suggests that at 600mm its "sweet spot" is between f/8 and f/11.

However, stopping down might be too much for a D3400's focussing module, except (as someone did mention earlier) in very good light. Nothing to stop you trying that, though, and it won't cost you a penny.

Like all DSLRs that I know of (and probably mirrorless to) the camera focuses at maximum aperture and only stops down as the exposure is made. It's not stopping down that's the problem here; it's the fact that even at maximum aperture the lens is slow.

You started off asking about possible upgrades, and I think a good upgrade path (if you can't get your D3400 to focus at those smaller apertures) for you would be to get a used D7100 if you don't see yourself wanting to do a lot of burst shooting, or a D7200 if you do - the most significant upgrade from 7100 to 7200 was the increased buffer for continuous shooting. The important thing in your case is that while the AF module in the lower spec cameras is a guideline of f/5.6 maximum aperture, the D7*** series ups that to f/8.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow